The chain of the Grand Master
The chain of the Grand Master of the Order of the Liberation was made by Gilbert Poillerat, a goldsmith, and was presented to General De Gaulle, on August 31st, 1947, at the Chancellery of the Order (headquarters), which was located at 5 rue François 1er in Paris at that time. It is on exhibit in the Honor Hall of the Museum of the Order of the Liberation.
This chain was inspired by the chain of the Royal Order of Saint Michael; it has 9 large gold links that are joined with green enameled Lorraine crosses.
The names of the territories that made up the Empire are engraved in the links (two per link): French Equatorial Africa, New Hebrides, Cameroon, New Caledonia, Oceania, French Guiana, the Indies, the Levant, the Somalis coast, Reunion Island, Saint Pierre and Miquelon Islands, Madagascar, French Occidental Africa, Indochina, North Africa, the Antilles and France.